I CAN use my skills
We all have skills to share!
There are so many ways you can support people seeking asylum. If you are not already active in volunteering or providing support in some way, you could start by looking for groups nearby (at a Parish, School, or Community group) who provide assistance to asylum seekers.
Below are a few suggestions of ways to assist. Many parishes, schools and social justice groups are already involved in these kinds of activities plus much more. If you are involved supporting asylum seekers, we would love you to join up and let us know what you are doing.
Ways you can use your skills:
- Inform yourself and speak truth to others, even when your views are unpopular
- Collect food or other material aid for people seeking asylum who are living in poverty in your community
- Volunteer to teach English
- Offer a job or free training position to an asylum seeker with work/ study rights
- Plan a fundraising or awareness raising event
- Arrange for a speaker to come to your group and speak about asylum seekers
- Write to asylum seekers in detention
- Start your own Parish/ School / Workplace Support Group for asylum seekers
- Sign up to the Alliance (at the bottom of this page) to receive a monthly e-bulletin, to join up your group please contact email@example.com
More detailed information is coming about ways you can help asylum seekers in your local community.
“Faith of itself, if it does not have work, is dead” James 2:17
Just one example of a fantastic initiative: The Welcome The Asylum Seeker Parish Support Program
This program sees individual parishes across Melbourne provide hospitality and support to people seeking asylum in the local community. Supported by Catholic Social Services Victoria and a Steering Committee, parishes have the opportunity to provide a number of different types of support including accommodation, companionship, social events, material support, English language support and referrals to other services. Each parish decides what type of support to offer and are responsible for delivering it.