12 days of Christmas … 12 ways we CAN support people seeking asylum
Commit to a Christmas that supports people seeking asylum by doing one thing a day starting today . . . If you can’t do all 12, at least pick one!
- Call the Prime Minister and ask him to release all children in detention. Parliamentary Office p.02 6277 7700 / Wentworth Electoral Office p.02 9327 3988
- Read Refuge from our rhetoric : Making a case for people seeking asylum – Words that work (only 4 pages!)
- Collect food or other material aid for people seeking asylum who are living in poverty in your community
- Offer a job or volunteer opportunity to someone with work/ study rights
- Write to asylum seekers in detention
- Visit people seeking asylum in detention
- Sign up to the Alliance www.capsa.org.au to keep up to date via a monthly e-bulletin
- Write to or visit your local MP: Here are some quick tips
- Raise your concerns with the media: MPs notice stories in their local media and on social media. By taking action you can increase your impact.
- Ask your workplace or school to sign the No Business in Abuse pledge
- Arrange for a speaker to and talk about what you CAN do in 2016
- Say a prayer: Pray for people seeking asylum, decision makers, workers & advocates
Need more information or local details about any of the above?
Email email@example.com or go to: http://capsa.org.au/get-involved/
“How we deal with refugees is a test of our humanity, our respect for human dignity, and above all our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in need.”
Pope Francis, November 2015